Saturday, March 28, 2009

03-28-09

It started snowing this morning around 9:00 and it seemed like it was never going to stop. We have at least six inches out there. So much for globabl warming.
I don't particularly like the snow, but I love days like this because it means I can curl up with a good book, a hot cup of tea and no guilt over what I "aught" to be doing instead. I don't know why I need the weather to give me permission to relax, and there is always plenty to do inside, but I let it be my excuse to do what I want rather than what I should.
I love biographies. Especially Christian biographies. I find them incredibly inspiring. Jacob gave me "The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon and William Wilberforce" recently. It's the third in a series by John Piper where he highlights the lives of three men of faith. They aren't extensive biographies--others have written those--rather the books were born out of a series of messages Dr. Piper gave at the annual Bethlehem Conference for Pastors which he hosts every year.
The first two in the series, in case you are interested, are, "The Legacy of Sovereign Joy: God's triumphant grace in the lives of Augustine, Luther and Calvin" and "The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the Lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper and David Brainard.
Needless to say, they are immensely inspiring.
But I got no further than the introduction before bursting into sobs of heartfelt desperation to love God and cling to Him for divine help in enduring reverence and obedience.
This is John Piper's cry. It is mine as well. I hope it is yours.
"Let Your goodness, O God, bind my heart with a chain to You! Seal my will to Yours with an unbreakable application of Your eternal covenant. Keep me! Preserve me! Defeat every rising rebellion! Overcome every niggling doubt! Deliver from every destructive temptation! Nullify every fatal allurement! Expose every demonic deception! Tear down every arrogant arguement! Shape me! Incline me! Hold me! Master me! Do whatever You must do to keep me trusting You and fearing You 'till Jesus comes or calls." Amen.
Let my life be swallowed up in You. Keep me unto You. Make me to increasingly reflect You in all I do and say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!