Thursday, May 1, 2008

05-01-08

MAY-DAY! MAY-DAY! Or, if you prefer, happy May 1st. It's been a very long time since I've swung around a Maypole. The one on the Cassidy school grounds was much too close to the lake and if you lost your grip at the wrong time, well, you went swimming. In your uniform.
I'm sorry, is it just me or did we celebrate Christmas just last month? It seems so to me and here we are writing May 1 on our checks already. What happened to February? Or March or April for that matter? My life is flashing before my eyes in 24-hour increments. It wouldn't be so bad except I'm not sure how many of them I have left.
It's very motivating. I'm starting to care less about finally getting my basement fixed up (but it's going to happen!) than I am about accomplishing all God has in mind for me to further His kingdom.
To that end I am attending a Kay Arthur seminar in OKC this weekend to help me learn to study the Bible with a more in-depth approach. The goal is two-fold. The first is to enhance my personal study time. I love the Bible study I am in but I am virtually salivating for better ways to dig the nuggets of wisdom and truth out of God's living, breathing word. Secondly, I want the effect of goal one to have a positive influence on my teaching.
We (my friend Ana and I) will return on Saturday night and then I am flying out way too early on Sunday morning to spend a week in NYC with my friend Vicki. Her husband has to be there for a week of training and since I fly free she asked if I wanted to come play in the big city with her while her husband worked. Did I? Hello! Ummm. Affirmative.
All of this to say I might be out of pocket for a while. I don't know if I will have the time or opportunity to write in NYC. I will if I can. If not, I will jot down my thoughts and write them out when I get home.
Meanwhile, I want to encourage each of you to spend a few minutes every day in purposeful prayer. It might be sitting silently in His presence. It might be pouring out your heart in petition or confession. It might be praying Scripture over yourself or someone you love. Whatever. Just make an appointment with your Heavenly Father. Then keep it.

No comments: